Question

Teen Parenting

Pls help..

My sister is 37 yrs old and has a 17 year old daughter. She is very uncontrollable,she goes out every night,come back at 1 am during the week,neglects her school work,goes out with this boy that doesn't go to school or work.She doesn't listen to her mother and now we suspect she's pregnant.
How do you discipline some one like that,How can you punish her..I have spoken to her so many times about contraception,condoms,std's and aids,and she swore that she wasn't having sex. I even offered to take her to the clinic to get pills and bought condoms ,left them where she could find them...She still went out to have sex without protection,how do we get through to teenagers?

Expert ImageTeen expert

All you can do is what you have done - provide advice and support. There are so many aspects of this which are ultimately your niece's responsibility. You have warned her about the risks, and if she chooses not to listen, she will have to face the consequences.

If you feel that she is seriously out of control then you need to have her assessed for treatment posibly on an in-patient level. She is still a minor and if she is going to go out without permission you should consider involving the police and social services child protection.

There is no magic solution to getting through to someone - helping them to reflect on their mistakes may be all you can do at this stage to help her make different decisions for herself.

2

Thank you for your response Teen Expert...I feel better knowing that i have provided guidance to her,its up to her what she does with it.

Posted by: Popza | 2007/04/11

Dear Anon,

I have a similar problem, my son is 16, he is very manipulative and lies to get people for feel sorry for him. The worst thing is he tells everyone his stepfather abuses him. All he wants is to party and not be responsible. He's just been expelled from home. He recently took alll his clothes and left the house, claiming he was chased away.
I feel this is unfair on my husband, because he has been here since my son was 9 years old. My son's behaviour changed when his biological father came into the picture. The father lies to him and makes promises he doesn't keep. I think my son is using my husband to get thru his biological father's non commitment to him. I am at the end of the rope. We don't know where or with whom he is leaving and its killing me.

Reply to Popza