Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2008/02/05

Teen daughter lack of confidence

Hi Doc...
Please may I enquire about my daughter who is 14. She has started Grade 8 in private school. My concern is that she feels she is different from the scholars in her class. She has a SERIOUS problem with math. We have enrolled her in master maths since October last year. I have requested extra lessons from her math teacher as well. I have had a good chat with her and told her that she must not let her math problem overshadow all her other subjects. (she called from school yesterday sobbing saying she is not good at any subject) She is an average student and I feel she has the ability to do much better if math were not such a mountain in front of her. She is extremely creative and excels in English and has had poetry published - and I try to boost her in that area, but it seems that it is not helping her confidence over all. This morning was another sobbing session before school. What do I do? How do I handle this? My heart breaks for her, but I told her to perservere and take one lesson at a time. This is something I feel we can conquer if I knew what to do! She is an extremely lovable child who is always smiling, friendly and helpful and to see her miserable is something I am not used to. Please help me help her Doc. Thankyou for you time... Jenny

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Jenny,

Her maths is one issue and her having extra lessons will definitely help her gain confidence in this area.

At 14 people can feel very self-conscious and she may just be adjusting to her new school and environment in that context. Letting her know that she is just as good as everyone else around her may help her, and also pointing out that different people have skills in different things.

If the problem persists you should consider her seeing a psychologist who specialises in working with adolescents to help her work on self-esteem and confidence issues.

1
Posted by: Chord | 2008/02/05

If she is artistic, she should learn to play a musical instrument and music theory and you'll see her maths marks improve by magic. You see, music is an art with a basis in physics and maths. So you end up being scientific whilst being creative! In fact 80% of my music class also do well in maths!

Reply to Chord