Question
Posted by: Jenny (aka Nadine) | 2007/06/18

Tedious new job

Hi CS & others. You know this is exactly what gets my back up and then when I act irrational then you wonder why. I joined this company at the beginning of the month as a secretary. There has been nothing to do, period. Apparently the person who worked here before me stayed 9 months and left. The financial manager then decided to give me a crap load of filing to do, dating back to 2004. By the look of it, I can tell you they will never touch these files, EVER - its just to keep me busy. Why didn't they give all this filing to the previously secretary? It annoys me so much because its all very well keeping someone occupied but why employ me in the first place when you know that the work isn't enough to keep one busy. Also, there are no smoke breaks allowed at all. Last week I was asked to go to Steers to buy burgers for the boss & two associates. Do secretary's do that because its my petrol being used? What a waste of my time. I have 2 interviews lined up this week but I could quite easily hand in my notice now and take a chance. Does anyone know how 24 hours notice works? Do I come in in the morning, hand in my notice and go home or must I work for the rest of the day?

It seems amazing how many companies hire people, and then give them nothing to do --- and then complain about poor productivity ! I wonder why they don[t want to allow smoke breaks to delay such unimportant work ? Good luck with the interviews --- why take a chance ?

9
Posted by: Shae | 2007/06/19

Duhhhhhh

I believe the common term for that is called BREACH OF CONTRACT, which is something that shouldnt be encouraged as the company can make a case against you in addition to deducting the months notice from your final salary and what good would that do.

Read the BCEA, youre right about the two weeks and one year but check your facts on the other.......dont see that anywhere.

If you could give me the name of the piece of legislation where it is stated, that would ofcourse be much more convincing and substantive.

Reply to Shae
Posted by: duhhhh | 2007/06/18

have you ever heard of " resignation with immediate effect"?

1 Month - 24 hours
06 months - 2 weeks
07months to 100 years - 30 days or

With immediate effect then you pay the company the salary that they were going to give you or they simply give you nothing!!!

Reply to duhhhh
Posted by: Shae | 2007/06/18

What does it say in your employment contract?

Reply to Shae

You can't be serious - I wonder what my notice period will be - probably a week.

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)
Posted by: Shae | 2007/06/18

Have checked this with the department of labour - 24 hours notice not applicable.

Reply to Shae

Well for the first 3 months in any company, you are on probation and I am sure they can also give you 24 hrs notice. Both parties can give each other 24 hrs notice during the first 3 months. I'm sure of it.

Reply to Jenny (aka Nadine)
Posted by: Shae | 2007/06/18

BCEA states that during the first month 1 week's notice applies, After 1st month up to 1 year 2 weeks, then 1 month.

Where does it say 24hours?

Reply to Shae
Posted by: Dude | 2007/06/18

dont just leave jenny, u got kids to feed and u never know when the next jobs coming, even if u r sexy

Reply to Dude
Posted by: Moeder Raaf | 2007/06/18

Morning.

You are firstly lucky to have a job. Many people would kill to have a job.

I am a Manager and when I get asked to go get KFC or go to the pharmacy to get meds for the staff I say yes sir grab my bag and go.

Yes it's your petrol, how much of the companies time to you spend on the net ? On phone calls ? ect ? See it as THAT covers your petrol.

In your 3 months probation you can give 24hours notice. Yes you have to work for the rest of the day unless they ask you to leave. I suggest you wait till your pay is in your bank account before you do this, they might get funny.

Reply to Moeder Raaf