Question
Posted by: olimungkee | 2005/07/06

tea and wine blocking noses

If red wine readily blocks my nose, would you think that there is a common denominator in tea that does the same thing?
Because this happens to me.

Dear Olimungkee
It is possible, but without any allergy tests it is difficult to say. Wine contains a great many compounds, including alcohol, which could cause swelling of the nasal membranes and blockage of the nose. Tea also contains many flavonoids and tannins which may or may not be a problem, but hot beverages can also cause swelling of the nasal membranes. So you see, it is really impossible to say.