Question
Posted by: Flo | 2005/11/23

TD

Dear Cybershrink

I’ve seen a shrink and he prescribed Risperdal for, what he says, anxiety. The company that manufactures Risperdal says in its package insert that because of the risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia, Ripserdal should be prescribed for patients who will substantially benefit from it. If the manufacturer sounds this worried about TD, shouldn’t I be taking something less risky?

I am rather puzzled by this prescription, Flo. Risperdal is a major tranquillizer, usually used to treat schizophrenia and similar illnesses, and I have never thought of using i to treat ordinary anxiety. But there may be some variety of anxiety ( there are several ) which your shrink may have identified, for which he might think of using this. Manufacturers have to list all possible side-effects which occur more often than by random chance, not only those which are common. The risk wouldn't be considered high in someone like yourself--- but it is a risk your shrink should have discussed with you, along with other side-effects, when providing the prescription. I wonder when you're next due to see the shrink, as you should ask him for a full discussion wen next you do