Question
Posted by: Elizma | 2005/12/13

TB - VERY worried!!

My mother-in-law has had a constant cough for as long as I can remember, though she seems perfectly healthy. But yesterday I discovered that she's been coughing blood and hiding it from us. I have a 6mnth old baby and is very worried about TB, but she assures me that she tested negative a month ago when she went to the clinic for a check-up.

What else can be the cause of this? Maybe she is lying, should I have my husband take her to our GP?

Dear Elizma,
Maybe you should take her to your GP - a clinic is not the place to sort out a patient coughing blood - it could be a cancer! She must have a chest X/ray en must have her sputum tested in a lab.