Question
Posted by: Cayla | 2003/12/11

TB of the lymph system

My 7 yr old daughter has TB of the lymph system. It was discovered after a lump in her neck was removed with a biopsy. She has always been incredibly healthy, eats well etc. She had her BCG vacc as a baby. How and why would she contract TB? She did have tonsilitis this year but it is still puzzling. Why did the BCG not work? She begins treatment on Friday. Have you got an online address for TB in SA? I am in the dark and her paediatrician is not big on information either.

Cayla, she most probably got the TB from someone who had open lung TB – who, I can’t say. She might have had an infection whilst she was given the BCG and this might have caused an insufficient immune response to the BCG. I don’t know if there is a web page, but I’ll try to find out in the morning and get back to you. Good luck.