Posted by: Worried | 2008/09/08

I' m worried about my domestic worker, i think she has TB! how can we go about finding out her correct status? and protecting my family against contracting the decease?

We' ve got small children at home, though they' re at daycare during the day, and not at home while she' s there. What is my responsibility towards her? and hers to me?

Dear Tracey
You can take her to the nearest provincial hospital for a TB screen X/ray and examination, discuss with her so that this happens with her permission. If a domestic worker has TB, ensure that she/he is treated properly, that children younger than five years who have been in contact with the diseased individual receives a skin test to detect possible infection, and that all other contacts are monitored for suggestive symptoms. Once an infected person starts taking treatment they become non-infectious within a week or two.

Posted by: Dr Bets | 2008/09/09

Dear Tracey
If she has been to the hospital they probably took x/rays. Signs of TB is constant coughing >  3 weeks with weightloss, sweating. She is not obliged to give you any information regarding her status ( I think you mean HIV status) or any other health information. Even if she is HIV positive she would not be a danger to the family as HIV is only transmitted by blood and sexual contact. You could ask her to voluntary provide you with a letter from a doctor stating that she does not have TB but can not discriminate against her if she does not want to.

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: Tracey | 2008/09/09

Thank you Dr Bets

Apparently she' s on antibiotics, Moxypen. The children haven' t been in any physical contact with her per se. But what about her cleaning the house? Can TB be spread to surfaces or appliances that she touches, or cleans?

She was starting to cough, and left me a note that she would be going to the hospital for check up, that was beginning july. So we informed her that she can take some sick leave, and we will be paying her in full. We requested that she make sure, and must only come back when she feels better. So she started beginning of September again, and looks okay, but how do we know for sure? That' s when she informed me about the anti-biotics she' s on.

What i also would like to know? is it her responsibility to tell us of her status? so that we can take extra precausions? and that she is treated properly.

thank you so much for your respond

Reply to Tracey