Posted by: ANON | 2008/08/06

Hi doc i was coughing for 1 week and had a heavy chest.When to see my doc and he said broncites but i asked for a skin test to check for tb and after 3 days i went back and where they injected me it became like a skin rash it was very itchy doc said it could be tb i did x rays blood tests and a sputum test. I will go back to the doc with my x rays as soon as i get my sputum and blood results.If i do have tb can i get my meds directly from my doc as i like to do it privatly and will i be able to have children as soon as treatment is over,im so stressed and concernd if i will lead a normal life again.

Dear Anon
Because we all get TB immunizations at birth in SA the skin test is not always very reliable in SA. The blood test is much more specific ( if he asked for the PCR one). Yes you can get TB medication from your GP or specialist directly and a person that has TB is not infective after 2 weeks of taking his medication regularly. Don't upset yourself until you know for sure.