Question
Posted by: Astound | 2008/01/21

TB

Hi Doctor.

I have been on MDR TB Treatment for TB in my lymph nodes for 15 months now. My treatment is due to end on April 2 after 18 months of treatment. WHile being sick i have read whuite a bit online about MDR TB and i see that treatment is usually 24 months.

Should i be concerned that my treatment is 18 months. What are the chances of a relapse and how dangerous would that be if it occurred?

Thank you.

Dear Astound
They will definitely test you to see if you are healed before stopping your medication. In South Africa the minimum treatment time is 18 months but they will continue if necessary. One can get re-infected if your immunity is low and you have regular contact with someone with active lung TB. TB is a dangerous disease and one should try and keep your immunity strong by living a healthy lifestyle. Be aware of possible symptoms and go for regular check ups.