Question
Posted by: Baby | 2004/11/22

TB

Hi my boyfriend just found out that he's got TB,so I would like to know if he still has a chance to live.Are we going to be able to have children he's 26 Im 24.He told me that he needs to take treatment for 6 months.Help me Im scared will I be infected?

He surely does have a good chance of living. TB can be very successfully treated ; the biggest problem is in people who don't even think of this possibility, and don't find out that they're sick with it, and who thus don't get treated. Also, it's important to have an HIV test, as HIV/AIDS is common, and as it lowers our resistance to all infections, it can promote the occurrence of TB< too, and make it harder to treat,
It shouldn't affect his fertility. In late stages of untreated TB, if it happens to specifically affect the sexual organs, especially a woman's, it could obviously affect fertility, but this isn't common nowadays, especially not in people taking their treatment properly.
Obviously, it'd be worth waiting till his doctor's give him the all-clear, though. And maybe at some stage have yourself a check-up, to be sure you haven't picked it up.
And Liza is absolutely right --- the essential thing is to make sure that he takes all his meds religiously and exactyl as instructed for the whole 6 months or however long they recommend. Probably the biggest problem in treating TB is to persuade the person to take their medicine persistently, until they are clear of it, rather than stopping too soon.

1
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/22

Stop the bus!! Dying? Not likely. Just let him get treatment ASAP. And make sure that he doesn't skip. This is VERY important. My sister had TB. Never infected anyone in the family, plus once you're on medication, you're not infectious anymore. Children? Does TB make you sterile? I don't think so. Though with women I think it does up the chances of pregnancy if you're on the pill since you're taking so much antibiotics. After he has been on antibiotics for a month - go have yourself tested. AND RELAX. Its not nearly as bad a disease (if you take your medicine religiously) as what you think.

Reply to Liza