Question
Posted by: Julie | 2004/11/11

TB

A friend's husband recently died of the untreatable TB - MDR I think. Her tests have now proved positive for TB and she will be starting on treatment soon. How easily is TB transmitted? For example do I stand a chance of being infected I hugged her? If she sneezed or coughed near me? Could I get TB and not know it and then pass it onto my new grandchild?

Do you first get the normal kind of TB and then if the treatment is not sufficient, get the untreatable one or can you get the untreatable one immediately? I would appreciate some advice here.
Many thanks and regards.

Julie, TB is spread by coughing on people just like the flu. The best would be to have a PPD test done to determine your immune status. Actually, all direct contacts should have it done.
MDR (multi-drug resistant) TB is a strain of TB that is resistant to normal treatment and can be passed on as MDR TB. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Julie | 2004/11/12

Thank you CyberDoc.

Reply to Julie