Question
Posted by: mike | 2004/12/03

Tannita body scale

When I check my body fat , the scale gives me a different figure when done in the morning and evening . When is it best to test oneself ? Morning or evening ?

Hi Mike

I'd never heard of this product before your questions, so I looked it up and was able to find that it works on the principle of bioelectrical impedance. What this does is send a small electrical signal through the body and then measure how much resistance (or capacitance, if you want to be correct) it encounters, and fat, muscle, and bone all contribute differently to this. The other factor that contributes is water, and that's why I do suggest that you always measure it as you wake up before doing anything else. The problem measuring it in the afternoon is that you have no way of guaranteeing that everything is the same from one day to the next. I suppose that even in the morning you can't but it is a lot more consistent than doing it later.