Question
Posted by: DSP | 2006/11/13

TALKING TO MY 10 YR OLD - COMING OF AGE

MY DAUGHTER HAS JUST TURNED 10 AND I KNOW THAT THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE OF HER COMING OF AGE SOON. SHE IS STILL VERY IMMATURE, PREFERING TO WATCH CARTOONS THAN BOTHERING WITH FASHION AND HER APPEARANCE. HOW DO I APPROACH THE SUBJECT DELICATELY TO EDUCATE HER. SHE IS JUST SO CLUELESS AND INNOCENT AT THE MOMENT AND IT IS SAD FOR ME TO ASK HER TO GROW UP. IT IS SO SCARY FOR ME BUT I KNOW THAT IT IS INEVITABLE. PLEASE ADVISE!

She will probably have had some sex education at school. Perhaps you can ask about this as a way of introducing the subject.

3
Posted by: ... | 2006/11/13

Nikita it is a very intresting question my little one is only turning 7 early in the new year, so i have a few years to go, but your question and the replies you will get will help me to prepare as you know years fly like its no-ones business. Thanks Gal..

Reply to ...
Posted by: ... | 2006/11/13

Nikita i think what DSP was trying to ask was advice from parents that have dealt with telling a child "baby in our eyes" that she is actually a grown girl or women now and also how she as a mother could explain the change and as a mother x-ept it. Even if we went throught the same, its diffrent now than then.

You see to us parents a 10 year old is so small like it was yesterday they where born so its hard for us parents to cope with change specially if we know it is going to happen one of these days.

Reply to ...
Posted by: Nikita | 2006/11/13

You are lucky to have a child that still know that she's a child. There a parents out there that cry every night not knowing where their children is, what they're up to cause they just grew up too fast. There's 10 year olds that's already sexually active and i don't think that is what you want your child to think about at this age. She'll grow out of it. Everything happen with time. Just be thankfull, you won't regret it.

I'm 23, working and stay with my boyfriend, and still prefer to watch cartoons than anything else. I'm the only one my niece can relate to cause i'm the only one that make her enjoy her life as a child. There's nothing wrong with it.

She'll decide for herself one day that i need to grow up and act like a teenager. She'll get better when she goes to secondary school. Everybody is different.

Reply to Nikita