Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/28

Taking the first step

Hello everyone.

I' m Maria. I' m 19 years old and I' ve been talking and thinking of gender reassignment for quite a while now. I' m really a woman, but biologically still a man. I' m so nervous i can' t even type right.

Where do I begin? Ive always seen myself as a girl/woman. I' ve never really felt like a man. When I was 17 I told my parents I' m gay. My preliminary reasearch found that many gay people will think they' d like to be a woman/man so they can be with a heterosexual they fell in love with. That was my preliminary thoughts and conclusion on the matter. However...

I preffer if people adress me as Maria. I' ve been considering changing my name in such a manner that my initials can stay the same. Furthermore, I' ve been dying to wear women' s clothes in public so that I can express to the rest of the world how I see myself. The other motif for that is so that boys can see me and might think I' m a girl and talk and maybe even ask me out. Other things like dreams, sexual fantasies etc. confirm this.

So my question is: How does one go about applying or getting, for want of a better term, a sex change? Besides cutting of my penis, i see no other alternative than to have an operation. Can somebody please help me.

I know this does not only affect me, but my whole family. And all of my friends. I' m scared, but I know I have to do my thinking and research before I attempt suicide again. i' ve had for atempts in the last six months.

So if anyone can give any advice, I would gladly appreciate it.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTransgender advisor


The procedure to follow in order to have gender reassignment is as follows. You need to first go see a psychologist who will evaluate you and determine whether you are transsexual or some other variation of transgendered. From there the psychologist will refer you to other medical professionals who will then take you through the process of transitioning.

You will have to live in the gender of your choice for at least 6 months to 2 years before they will perform any surgery. This is known as the real life test. This is to ensure that you are comfortable in the gender of your choice and that you have fully integrated into society.

If you would like more info please go to where it says "Who is the transgender advisor?" near the top of this page. Click on the link and follow the link to the Gender DynamiX website were you can find more resources. You can also contact Gender DynamiX and they can refer you to a psychologist in your region.

Transgender Advisor

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Tina | 2008/08/06


Please follow the link on that Transgender Advisor suggests to GDX and CONTACT ME THERE urgently

TS West

Reply to Tina
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/06

Thank you.

Thing is, I' ve been seeing a psycologist for quite a while now. She had determened that I am some sort of trangendered person and would like to know of a medical doctor who can assist in this process. Ideally, this doctor should be in Jo' burg or Pretoria. If you can please reffer me to one it woud be tremendiously parreciated.


Reply to Maria

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.