Question
Posted by: YDNIC | 2007/05/28

TAKING OTHER PERSONALITIES

dEAR sIR
MY BOYFRIEND SEEMS TO TAKE ON OTHER PERSONALITIES INSTEAD OF LIVING HIS OWN LIFE. IT IS DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN. HE DOES THINK THAT HE IS MANIC DEPRESSIVE BUT AS I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY DISORDER AND AM ON MEDICATION, WHAT I SEE IN HIM DOES NOT SEEM LIKE MANIC DEPRESSIVE. HE ASKED EM TO ASK WHY HE CONTINUALLY LIKES TO "PRETEND" OR "TAKE ON" THE PERSONALITIES OF PEOPLE HE SEES IN MOVIES OR READS ABOUT. TO ME ITS ALMOST AS IF HE WOULD PREFER TO BE THEM INSTEAD OF HIMSELF AS HE DOES HAVE QUITE A LOW SELF ESTEEM BUT AT OTHER TIMES NOTHING CAN STOP HIM. IS THIS A FORM OF SKITSOPHRENIA? OR WHY WOULD HE HAVE THIS OBSESSION.

tHANK YOU

People who don't like themselves much, may try to escape from this by pretending to be other people, or behaving in ways different from how they would naturally behave. This does fit with the low self-esteem you hav noticed. It doesn't sound at all like schizophrenia, but he would probably benefit fro seeing a CBT style counsellor to improve his self-esteem, and to learn to enjoy being himself rather than pretending to be anyone else.

1
Posted by: joey | 2007/05/28

no way madam, he is not crazy...i am no expect but i do think he either watches too much TV or reads too much..sometimes when people see things they like or admire they turn to immulate them but that does not mean they are nuts..sometimes it is unvoluntarily e.g i use to work for a boss who stuttered at the end i was a stutter myself too much exposure to certain things is just not health but it does not mean nuts in every case.

Reply to joey