Question
Posted by: Gym Bunny | 2005/11/24

Taking a break from training

Good morning :o)

I am a 27 year female, weighing in at 56 and 1.78m tall. I know I am slightly underweight, but have been most of my life.

I gym 5 times a week, for 1 and a half hours every day. I do 40 minutes cardio (20 minutes per machine and always vary my machines per day between stair climbing, cycling, orbital glider and treadmill). I do quite a high level of intensity, maintaining a HR of between 140 and 160. I take up the balance of the time doing weights training to ensure good toning. I am not trying to lose weight, but gym to have a healthy body as I have a high cancer risk in my family.

I work quite long hours every day and basically arrive home at 6:30pm (after having left at 4:45 am in the morning for gym).

I am finding that after doing this the whole year that I am exhausted. I cannot stay awake past 9pm at night and find that my body is battling to maintain the same performance at gym as it used to.

I eat VERY healthy and make sure I get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables every day, focussing on a low fat, high fibre diet. I do cheat every now and then on weekends with some treats and takeaway.

What should I be doing that I am not doing already to curb my tiredness? Should I take some time off gym?

I really appreciate the help and look forward to your response.
Kind regards
Gym Bunny

I think that some time off gym is an excellent idea. I don't mean a complete break, that would probably frustrate you and cause another form of stress which you don't need. But I think that you should reduce the volume. Why not try only 3 days of gym a week, including two on the weekend. This would mean that you can sleep in four days a week and just this extra hour of sleep may make the world of difference. You will still get three days a week of exercise in, provided you can change your schedule to allow you to go to the gym on weekends, and you will get an additional 4 hours of sleep per week and not have to recover from such long hard days. I'm sure that by the end of the year, after Christmas, you will be inspired to get back to the usual gym routine. And the beauty is, that if you keep up with a few sessions a week, making sure not to go out of your way to exercise, you will have kept a level of fitness that allows you to get back into it very easily.

Good luck and rest well

2
Posted by: Gym bunny | 2005/11/24

Thanks so much for the advice everyone :o)

Much appreciated!

Reply to Gym bunny
Posted by: for gym bunny | 2005/11/24

yes and perhaps gain some weight, that is why you can be tired, you are over doing it, perhaps you dont incorporate enough food and carbohydrates, you are at risk, perhpas gty get to 63kg,

Reply to for gym bunny