Posted by: Megan | 2008/08/25

Tail docking law

I was recently given a Jack Russell pup whose tail had been docked - I had no say in the matter as was only given the pup when she was 8 weeks old. I know it is now illegal - can I get into any sort of trouble for this?

Dear Megan

I have not docked tails for years but as far as I am aware it is not a recommended procedure but not againts the law. You won't get in trouble and I think tail docking will continue for years, unfortunately done by lay people.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/25

Hope they' ll graciously accept the rest now.... Chapter 3:

If you go to News24 and put ' tail docking'  into the search facility, you' ll see various bits of reading matter.The biggest disappointment, as far as I' m concerned, is that representatives of some breed organisations, as well as the SA Kennel Union, are complaining about this long overdue ban...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/25

(The lords and masters of this blessed forum seem to have imposed some sort of maximum length on posts, or something... I keep getting ' input entry not validated'  msgs.)

Here' s the rest:

V' eterinarians who perform tail docking, unless for justifiable medical reasons, will be liable for prosecution under the Animal Protection Act No 71 of 1962. Veterinarians found guilty under this act will be investigated for unprofessional conduct by the SAVC under the Veterinary and Para-Veterinary Professions Act of 1982' 

(more to follow...)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/25

Yes, it' s been banned but it' s not the OWNER of the dog that could ' get into trouble' , it' s the person who did the docking.
Seems that the bodies monitoring this, who can ' get one into trouble'  are the SAVC (SA Veterinary Council) and the SPCA. Any veterinarian who docks dogs'  tails for any reason other than medical (injury, same as, say, amputating a leg) is liable not only to prosecution but also to investigation by the SAVC:

(contd in next post...)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/25

It has been banned , but not strictly enforced yet , as is normal in this country.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/25

According to my understanding it has been banned since 01 July 2008. Maybe double check with KUSA?

Reply to WR
Posted by: Sally | 2008/08/25

Hi Megan

As far as I know tail docking became illegal from the 1st June 2008 - perhaps Chill can comment........

This definitely does open it up for backstreet docking by breeders etc but you being an unknowing party to it cannot be held liable.

Reply to Sally