Question
Posted by: Max | 2008/01/03

Tai Chi for blind people?

I'm a blind person, I'd like to know if I could do Tai Chi, and if yes, where's a class in Joburg to do it? Are there also any audio courses instructing in Tai Chi and martial arts where the movements are described, as of course the DVDs aren't practical for blind people.

Expert ImageTai Chi expert

Hi Max,

Sorry for the late response, been experiencing some problems with my access to the forums which seems to be all sorted out now.
The movements in Tai Chi are very complex in the sense of weight distribution, foot placing, hand movements, spinal angels etc. I am not sure that anyone has attempted make an instructional audio of a Tai Chi form at this stage. All is not lost though as a patient and qualified Instructor will be able to assist you in learning and benefitting from this ancient healing art. I have taught people in wheelchairs before so yes anyone can do it. We currently have two groups in Johannesburg who will be able to assist you. Please contact our headquarters at Tel (031) 903 7616 or Cell 083 226 1576 or email aileen@sataichi.org and they will be able to assist you.

Hope to meet you at one of my workshops in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Morne
www.sataichi.org