Question
Posted by: muffin's mom | 2004/01/26

TACTILE DEFENSIVE

My daughter, 8 years, refuses to eat most foods stuffs due to texture and/or smell. She hates touching stuff like cotton wool. Her diet is what concerns me most, as she is not getting a balanced meal. Vitamin tabs are not the answer - if it was we would all be living on tablets and not be eating any food. I know that a balanced meal leads to better concentration etc. Please help: how do I get her to eat or even try out new food, as most foods and the smells thereof turns her off. We have been told that her body will eventually tell her to start eating, but we are waiting with bated breath! Her daily diet is: yohurt (smooth no pieces) wheatworths, marie biscuits, tennis biscuits, milo, dry cerelac, custard and McCains' potato chips (fries).

Mmmm, MM, hardly a balanced diet, indeed. Atually, all our readers have made sound points -- tj and 007 suggest subterfuge and ingenuity ; Koos reminds us that you are supposed to be the boss, and a kid isn't supposed to have unlimited freedom to be fussy. And a little hunger can do wonders to encourage interest in healthy food, if whatever she prefers isn't available.
If she objects to the texture of some foodstuffs, well, texture can be altered --- puree or mash it, fry it, coat it in batter, whatever. And the foods she's refusing seem to include every possible texture, colour and smell. Some don't have much smell, and what thee is can also be altered by the method of preparation. And doesn't there need to be more discussuon of the fact that her objections are both illogical and unhealthy ? She's old enough to be logical about it, if she chooses to be. Often a child's finickyness with food is a method of controlling the household and feeling like she's in charge --- so allowing her to be in charge of different areas of less importance, including being in charge of preparing a healthy and balanced diet for herself, and preparing the food, could help.
And Koos --- you speak far too directlyand frankly to be acceptable to the Dept of Health as a Spokesperson ! They prefer 'em mealymouthed.

3
Posted by: tj | 2004/01/27

Yes 007 people like KOO's should rather stay out of this forum.
Can hardly make out what he/ she trying to say!

To muffins mom: I also have two kid's age 9 & 7 and yes I struggle sometimes for them to eat correctly too, but I found that "comoflage" the food helps a lot, (If you know what I mean) Take something she do not like and add with something she like's dish it up differently and maybe she will like it. last night I made chicken a la king for the kid's, Veggies they won't eat and I actually mashed them so you could not see them. My children asked for second's! Afterwards I told them that it was not just chicken they ate but veggies too! Well they said it was the best veggies they ever had and I must make it again!

Reply to tj
Posted by: 007 | 2004/01/27

Dear muffins mom,
What about fresh fruit, salad and raw veggies even if it needs a sugar/ choc coating?
Good Luck

To KOOs
Wouldn't you please be so kind as to refrain from being such a menace on this forum. The only one whom you are so selfishly entertaining with your immature, dull postings
is yourself.
I suggest that your name be more appropriately spelt with a D rather than with a K.

Reply to 007
Posted by: k00s | 2004/01/27

now y didnt i think of that trick when i wuz young!!??

o ye,,,it wuz coz my tyrant offa dad m*&%red me when i didnt want to eat pampoen.

& that was the only texture & smell that did put me off ,,,(still does i must admit)

guess he was bein cruel 2 b kind (& a bit misguided i admit),,,lol...but he sure as hell taught me that lillte whippershcnappers r simply not in charge,,,

now i wouldnt actually recommend serious bodily harm in this instance but sumtin mor sublte like givin her choice might help ja? like in,,,,hav a nice piece of groente or hav nuttin,,,just think of all the lessons in responsibility u will b teachin her & all the selfcontrol u r givin her & the sense of self worth u will b instillin due to the fact that shes in control of her own behavior,,,(damn this countries health department could do with me as a spokesman)

ps wait till she discovers that the texture & smell of nikes r nicer than the that of all other cheaper runnin shoes,,,i hope u r savin up 4 the day

run the show lady,,,,,shes a baby

Reply to k00s