Question
Posted by: not my nic | 2005/12/02

Taboo question

I'm worried about the possibility of my nanny being HIV+ (Unknowingly). I've had a nanny who's boyfriend had multiple relationships and it turned out she was also had more than one partner. She told me had never tested for AIDS. Eventually she resigned, since then the possibility of someone handling kids and not knowing they status is a bit uncomfortable. Before everyone jumps down my thoat I know that the chance are small because the adult will be more careful - but why would they be careful if they don't know their status?

Yes I have the same concerns with anybody that I know has multiple relationships.

This is worrying indeed

...'s response makes sense. It is contact with her blood, through an open wound, eg, that would have risk if she were HIV positive. Breastfeeding might be a problem, but I think this is controversial. What I don't understand is why HIV is the only disease treated in this spial way, and nanies with other less dangerous diseases can be treated much less favourably

4
Posted by: Trip | 2005/12/02

Once caught my brothers nanny breastfeeding his son.

Reply to Trip
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/02

I do agree with Nat that everyone should be encouraged to be tested... even you should get tested... i don't mean that in a bad way.... but it seems that so many people think it's a disease that someone else has... or gets...
Everyone who is having sex with anyone is vulnerable to it... trust of a husband or wife is one of the many reasons people are walking around with HIV today... damn scary!!!

Reply to ...
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/02

How old are your children?... are they somehow going to come into contact with your nanny's blood?.. that's the only way I know that they could become infected... anybody who deals with your children could be HIV+ ... you don't have to have multiple partners to beome infected... maybe and aunt's husband sleeps around... people don't exactly brag about having multiple partners... so you will never know...
If the kids are old enough they should be taught basic hygiene skills anyhow... which includes how to handle someone else's blood... but if they are still young, I think you shouldn't stress too much... what would you do if you found out she was HIV + anyhow.... you can't fire her cos of that either..... the risk is out there with everybody... it's real and it's scary... but that is what HIV is all about unfortunately.

Reply to ...
Posted by: Nat | 2005/12/02

Everyone should be encouraged to know their status! I would be very nervous too. Perhaps you should just ensure that everything is done on the safe side. e.g. use gloves etc. And don't mention it.

Reply to Nat