advertisement
Question
Posted by: PA | 2004/11/25

TABLETS

Can taking 100 Panados kill you ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

yes, Panado can be really risky in overdose . lulu's quote sounds about right ( and Liza's comment sounds like someone pretending to be Liza ) It can cause serious and perhaps fatal liver damage --- so as with most other dangerous ODs, if it doesn't kill you, it may leave you with every problem you have at present, PLUS severe physical damage on top of it. NEver a good idea.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

9
Our users say:
Posted by: Deubel | 2004/11/25

Do you take it orally or rectally? The second option will only make you "gatvol" for the rest of your life.

Reply to Deubel
Posted by: Mindful | 2004/11/25

A couple of years ago I stupidly took a whole bottle of panado's. I don't remember much about that day except that I was so tired and couldn't go on. Sleep came within an hour, but I'm still here. Don't do anything like that - it's really not worth it, PA, and it doesn't solve anything either. Lots of luck.

Reply to Mindful
Posted by: lulu | 2004/11/25

And this:

The recommended adult single dose of paracetamol is two standard 500 mg tablets. Research shows that the common threshold for liver damage to occur from a single paracetamol overdose is 15 gms (30 tablets) although standard hospital guidelines allow an extra safety margin and assume liver damage could occur at a single overdose of 24 standard tablets or 150 mg/kg body weight, whichever is the smaller.

The overdose threshold may be lowered in a person taking certain prescription medicines, or a person who is an alcoholic or is seriously undernourished. If the overdose is spread over a period of time the threshold may be higher, as the initial paracetamol dose is effectively metabolised. (The recommended maximum dose in a 24 hour period is 4g or 8 tablets).

There are often no symptoms in the first 24 hours following overdose, although there may be mild nausea and vomiting. In a large overdose liver function deteriorates leading to jaundice, confusion, and loss of consciousness. Death is rare but when it occurs it is due to liver failure.

Reply to lulu
Posted by: lulu | 2004/11/25

I agree with L on your careless "advice", Liza... VERY irresponsible!

I found this on a site informing about paracetamol:

"Many people believe a paracetamol overdose will cause drowsiness or unconsciousness. It doesn't. There are few symptoms apart from perhaps vomiting, for about two days. In a large overdose symptoms will then start to appear including feeling 'ill' and tenderness of the abdomen.

A fatal overdose of paracetamol, no matter how large, is unlikely to bring about death in under five days, at least some of which are likely to be spent in hospital.

Many overdose deaths are due to a mixture of medicines in which paracetamol is present but, as death is brought about in under 24 hours by medicines other than paracetamol, the paracetamol cannot be a contributing factor in the cause of death.

It may be useful to remember that if death has occurred within 24 hours of an overdose, it was not caused by paracetamol. Similarly if death has occurred outside of hospital, it is unlikely to be due to paracetamol.

When the liver has been damaged during a non fatal paracetamol overdose, it recovers fully within a matter of weeks or months following the overdose. The liver damage is not permanent, and does not accumulate with subsequent overdoses unless they are taken close together, before the liver has had time to recover. "


Reply to lulu
Posted by: JM | 2004/11/25

L,

I think Liza is just sarcastic.

Reply to JM
Posted by: L | 2004/11/25

Liza, are you nuts??

Reply to L
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/25

AFAIK very slowly and painfully. If you don't want to it to be so slow and painfully, take a whole tube of ACC200 with it (you can get it without prescription at your pharmacy)

Cheers
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: L | 2004/11/25

It MIGHT kill you, yes. It will DEFINITELY cause internal damage.

Why do you want to know this?

Reply to L
Posted by: JM | 2004/11/25

PA,
Don't know but if it doesn't kill you, you will definitely cause some internal damage.

Do you want to kill yourself?

Reply to JM

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement