Question
Posted by: JR | 2006/07/19

T7 Compression fracture

On the 18th of June I sustained a "stable compression fracture" to my T7 vertebrae. More x-rays were taken yesterday (18th of July) and it was found that nothing had moved and no regression had taken place.
Can you PLEASE advise me on what kinds of exercises I can do in the gym? And for how long must I avoid these exercises? I take it any weight bearing exercise like Squats are out… what about shoulder press? Dead-lift? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Johann

Expert ImageArchive

Firstly, I would suggest no resistance exercises which requires lifting loads higher than shoulder level ie: shoulder press. With all other resistance exercises, stay away from free weights and use the machines which will be safer and offer back support. Also avoid exercises that change the curvature of the spine while being loaded ie: bending forward and backward. For this reason, the dead lift is also out.

You can do squats against a wall but no squats with a barbell.

You can still do leg strengthening ie: seated leg press (be careful not to load too high), hamstring curls and calf raises on a step. Avoid the calf raises with loading on the shoulders.

For the upper body, you can still do horizontal chest press, pec deck, seated rows, biceps curls and tricep extensions, all in a seated position.

However with the limited amount of information provided and with an injury in a sensitive area, I do suggest you consult a biokineticist to complete an indepth back assessment and to prescribe safe exercises to you based on that assessment.

Good luck with your recovery.