Question
Posted by: Peter | 2005/07/28

Systemic Mastocytosis

Approximately 15yrs after noticing red spots on my body (and being told by a Dermatologist not to worry and get a suntan!) I have been diagnosed with SMast. Although liver and spleen swollen-my bone marrow is clear.

I am the MD of a company and haven't the energy to concentrate for long periods, have constant aches and pains and am seriously depressed. I have always been a workaholic but now find that I am disinterested, depressed and this has started a vicious circle in the sense that I think that I am lazy and this leads to greater depression. I have stopped the cortisone and Clift medication that I was on as it led to heartburn and I was eating so many Rennies that I feared my arteries would clog.

Question is: The way I feel is that I want to run away-is this just the effects of SM, mid life crisis or what????

Peter, the heartburn might have been due to the cortisone, but not due to the Cilift®. Stopping the Cilift® may be the cause of you feeling so bad right now. It might of course also be due to something like bone marrow suppression and the best would be to see a specialist physician and make sure as writing it of as a mid-life crisis may be a very dangerous thing to do. Good luck.