Question
Posted by: Flufie | 2006/08/01

Syndrome X

I have been a active person all my life. Currently I am 28 and cycling a few times a week. I enjoy sport but my weight gets in the way, i have a muscular build but at 105 and 1,75meters I am too heavy. I have participated in all the big cycling events, go snow skiing, indoor cricket and scuba diving. I have tried many diets and pills of which non have really worked. I do not binge eat. It has been mentioned to me about the syndrome x, which i am about to be tested for. I was wondering if there is medication or plan to deal with this syndrome? Thank you.

Dear Flufie
Your present BMI = 34,3 which is in the obese range even if you are very muscular. So it would be a good idea to try and lose some weight. Have the tests for syndrome X and if you should suffer from insulin resistance then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for you that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI), which will help you to control your blood insulin and sugar levels, and promote weight loss. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Balanced diet' and read the articles on the GI. Keep up the exercise at all costs because regular exercise lowers insulin levels and prevents further weight gain.