Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2006/03/02

Symptoms of drug abuse in young adults?

What is the symptoms of drug abuse in young adults? A woman who works with me is concerned that her daughter may be using drugs - Tik, cocaine, dagga, etc. She can't prove anything, but the child behaves very strangely. Please advise.

Best would be, as Mom suggests, to get the blood / urine tests done. Many kids these days ( you don't mention the daughter's age ) use multiple drugs, so that the picture can be mixed, rather than there being specific individual recognizable signs to point to the use of one specific drug.
Mars summary of possible indicators seems reasonable. And Harris is right about the cost factor, and the fairly reliable sign when things go missibg to sponsor the habit

6
Posted by: mike | 2006/03/02

Even for a blood/urine test the young womans mom will need her consent and cooperation, and if she agrees to the test and a positive result is found for any treatment etc. to occur the young womans cooperation is needed. So her mother should come out and just talk to her and ask and be up front about things or she will get nowhere if her daughter refuses to cooperate.

Reply to mike
Posted by: willie | 2006/03/02

mars and harris you have it those are all the symtoms

Reply to willie
Posted by: Harris | 2006/03/02

Also keep a check on the kid's finances. Drugs do not come cheap. Watch your spare kettles, radios, watches etc as addicts target these as items to sell to finance their habit. The road an addict follows is a slippery, downhill slope, and they usually take the people that love them down with them.

Reply to Harris
Posted by: Tracy | 2006/03/02

Knowing myself.....if it were my son....I would come straight out with it and ask I'm afraid!!!!!

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: mars | 2006/03/02

Cindy

it does not necessarily mean that she is using drugs if the following symptoms are there but they are warning signs...

loss or increase in appetite, or eating patterns that changed.
unexplained weight loss or gain
inability to sleep, or abnormal sleeping (dagga)
Red, watery eyes; pupils larger or smaller than usual; blank stare
hacking cough, needle marks, shaking... friends and attitude change, dropping points etc in school and work. loss of interest in the family,

Marijuana : red eyes, laughting, lots of eating and drinking followed by sleep, they usually wear hats, have eye drops.

hope this help

Reply to mars
Posted by: Mom | 2006/03/02

I guess if she takes her to her local GP for a checkup blood test/urine test would show some results. Usually a mother's gut feel/intuition is correct.

Reply to Mom