Question
Posted by: lee | 2008/01/07

swollen throat

Dear Cyberdoc, I have been suffering from a swollen throat for about 10 days. It is swollen but not really sore - it is uncomfortable to swallow food and I cough sometimes because the opening is so small. I do suffer from dust and pollen allergies and occasionally use an over the counter asthma pump when I start wheezing, but this feels very different and my allergies are under control at the moment. I sometimes get a similar feeling after eating potatoes (think maybe I am slightly allergic), but it never lasts more thatn a couple of hours. Any recommendations (gargle with salt water etc.) or should I see my GP or a Ear nose and Throat doctor? Thank you

Hallo Lee
Take an anti-histamine like Allergex 3 times a day but make an appointment with your GP too - he needs to examine you and see if you need referral to an ENT doctor. You may have an infection in the soft tissue of the throat or just enlarged lymphglands.