Question
Posted by: PKin | 2003/03/05

Swollen stomach and stomach pain

Over the past few years Ive regularly had extreme stomach pains at least once a week. My stomach seems to fill with air, is hard as a rock and the cramps are intense. I eat healthily - lots of fibre and veggies.
I thought I may have been allergic to wheat, so I tried cutting it out, but that didnt help. At times it just feels like I dont digest any foods properly - my stomach can react to anything. I feel sore and sluggish. Is this just irritable bowel syndrome - do I have to live with it?

Pkin, it sounds like it might be due to irritable bowel syndrome, but I don’t think you should leave it at that. Even irritable bowel syndrome can be treated, but there is a real chance that it might be due to something else. The best would be to see a gastroenterologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.