Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2011/02/09

Swollen patches on skin lasts for ages

Dear Doc

I get swollen areas on my face, behind my ears, on my back. They are not huge and they are definately not a pimple because you cant squeeze them and they are not filled with anything. It seems to be inflamation because when I take cortizone it does go away but after the session of the treatment it comes back. I take tablets and have tried a cortizone ointment. When they appear they last forever without any treatment. What can it be? I have been to so many doctors and they just give cortizone.

Please help.

Hallo Cindy
It sounds as if it could be hives if it responds to cortisone but may also be a type of acne (cystic acne) Have you seen a dermatologist? See if taking an antihistamine every evening makes a difference? (try something like Loratidine)It may be related to something you eat, so see if you can identify possible triggers. You could also ask your GP to test you for allergies for most common foods (usually nuts, citrus, tomatoes, fish, iodene, wheat).
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/09

Hallo Cindy
dr Bets