Question
Posted by: AS | 2007/03/21

Swollen lower legs

My dad has Ankylosing Spondylitis and for the past few years his legs have been getting really bad. At the moment is it very swollen from the knee down to the toes, the skin is dry and is forming some sort of blisters. The colour of his legs from the knees downwards is almost maroon. The local GP just keep on saying that he cannot do anything about it and that it must be part of my dad's getting older (63) and symptomatic of his Ankylosing spondylitis....is this true or can there be a different reason for his legs being so bad. I have taken photos that I can e-mail to you or if you can please refer me to a suitable expert I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Dear AS
I think your dad needs to see a specialist and very soon - see if you can find a rheumatologist in your area ( look on easyinfo.co.za under medical) Let me know if you managed?