Question
Posted by: doreen | 2004/01/29

swollen legs and feet

My feet swell badly and the swelling extends to my knees. I have been examined by doctors and specialists and there is nothing wrong except for circulation and lymphatic drainage is impaired. It is uncomfortable and unsightly. I am 58 and overweight. Elimination of fat from my diet also eliminates the swelling. What can I do?

Dear Doreen
Seeing that you have found that cutting out fat stops these distressing symptoms and as you mention that you are overweight, I would recommend that you try losing some weight. To lose weight you need to combine a weight loss diet with some form of exercise. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, energy-reduced diet which you can use. As soon as you have started to lose weight and feel better, I would suggest that you try going for walks in the fresh air - slowly at first, but at increasing speed and for longer periods as your fitness improves. The walking will also counteract the oedema in the legs and improve circulation.