Question
Posted by: legs | 2006/04/19

swollen legs

MY husband has a problem in that his body produces too many red blood cells. We have been told this is the reason his legs swell and his skin on his legs is very senstive and water blisters from for the slightest bump.

Can you help what is this?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Legs,

Producing too many red blood cells can have many causes, but you do not say what the cause of your husband’s condition is. If he is a smoker, then he will produce more red cells that a non-smoker. He could have a condition called polycythaemia vera, or secondary polycythaemia. Please write in again with details of the CAUSE of your husband’s red cell condition, so that I can explain the condition to you.

It may have nothing at all to do with the problem in his legs. He may have mild heart failure, causing leg swelling. He could have lypmphoedema, which is a totally different thing. However, if he does have one of the two conditions I mentioned in the first paragraph, the skin on his legs may be very itchy, and the scratching may cause his skin to break easily.

Please get back to me with more information so that I can help you.

HeartDoc