Question
Posted by: Man28 | 2006/10/28

Swollen Gland?

I have had this huge bulge (about 1 cm) thats quite painfull right behind my left earlobe at the bottom for the past few days. It feels almost like there is liquid under the skin - yet its not red or stand out huge like a boil. Could it be a swollen gland and what gland is situated right behind the earlobe? What causes it? What can I do to relieve this? (PS its ONLY behind the one ear - nothing behind my right ear)

A few months ago I had a similar "liquid:" but that was on the earlobe itself and my DR said it was dead cells and he made a small cut and pressed all the gumf out and it healed. This time its very painfull and almost hard and I have been trying to press it out thinking it might be a boil or pimple but no luck - its deep under the skin and painfull and almost hard.

Please shed some light on this for me?

Dear Man28
It sounds like a sebacious cyst - caused by a blocked duct of a sebacious gland.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000842.htm