Question
Posted by: RugbyFan | 2007/03/22

Swollen feeling in my throat

I have this strange chocking feeling in my throat. It feels like something is pushing against my, well, throat. I have to say that I think it started the night/day after I screamed my head off at the last Stormers match at Newlands.

Its really uncomfortable it feels like something’s stuck there. I've been to see my doctor and he did blood tests to see if it could be a problem with my thyroid (because my neck was looking a little swollen and when he looked down my throat he couldnt see anythin). However the test results came back normal. No problems with my thyroid. The feeling's still there though. Could I have damaged my vocal cords or something? My doctor said my throat is clear but it still feels like somethings there.

please help
Thank you!

Dear Rugbyfan
I think you have oedema or swelling of the vocal cords. Taking a short course of cortisone like Meticorten ( for about 3 days) should probably help. One can't see so deep down with a normal examination and would have to use a scope or special mirror to see the vocal cords.