Posted by: Euny | 2008/10/13

Swollen/ big bump look like teniss ball

My sister has this big bump next to her belly button it gets bigger and bigger but she said its not painful. she has since notices this after operation when she gave birth 3years ago. she had this thing checked before and the doctors said is nothing. but its growing. please help,

Dear Euny
This may be a hernia ( weak spot in the muscles of the abdomen) Sometimes a bit of bowel goes into this area and gets constricted - this can cause acute abdominal obstruction and need an emergency operation. Or it may be a lipoma, a harmless fatty growth - let her ask her doctor what he thinks this is. If he says a hernia, she must ask to see a surgeon

Posted by: Anja | 2009/03/11

My son is 6yrs, had this from birth. He never has pain and the hernia has not gotten bigger. Dr said he can operate but there is no urgency. I feel that if something does not bother you leave it alone. My son does rugby and judo and never complains of pain. What do you suggest I do?

Reply to Anja