Question
Posted by: ... | 2005/11/25

swinging from the chandeliers!

Hi Cs

I'm bipolar but have been been very stable for four years now... it took some time to get the meds right, but after that it's been relatively plain sailing... I have been feeling really happy and content with my life..... things are going exceptionally well in all spheres... the last few months I have been feeling really good... but today if feels as though I am feeling a bit too good!!

I don't know ... but part of me is wondering if I am entering a manic phase!.. Do you think it's possible that suddenly after four years things are going to go wobbly again?.... There has been no change in my routine or medication at all - maybe life just is so good and I should accept it, but I don't see many other people wanting to swing from the chandeliers :-) ......

I can ride this happiness and excitement ..... no problem..... but eish... we all know what happens afterwards....... and that I guess is the ultimate concern........ Do you think I should be concerned? ........

It's a tribute to your excellent common sense to at least think of that possibility. It's always seemed to me that one of the major dificulty with bipolar problems is that the early stages of a high, when it might be easiest to get back under control, are often fun and just feel a bit too good. And if one has been depressed, the feelgood is such a pleasant relief, one may feel reluctant to spoil it, even though one should at least seek to limit it.
As you say, it's a bit odd for the mood to swing a bit out of line when there have been no other changes in your life, but so far as we can see, though we're not immune to the influence of outside events, bipolar swings can be like tides, and have a motivation of their own, internally.
As I said a coupla years ago in a celebrated answer to someone who was awfully worried that he must be a sexual deviant ( for engaging in merely one of the standard deviations ) ; so long as nobody gets hurt or coerced, almos anything goes --- except perhaps if it involves swinging from the chandelier with a live frog in each hand.
Seriously, though, returning to your dilemma, it's a problem. You don't want to interven if it's not needed ; but if this IS the start of an up-swing, it may slide past the point at which you can recognize what's happening and respond well to it --- so maybe a quick visit to a friendly local shrink fo an assessment, might be wise. Simply aqs a precaution.