Question
Posted by: CAP21 | 2006/07/14

Swimming/Cycling

Hello I wanted to know if there is anything that I can eat/drink to help my muscles recover faster?, normally I bike between 20-25 miles per day and do at least one hour of swimming, but my legs tend to keep having a burning sensation even if I taking some days to rest or decreasing the distance when cycling?

Dear CAP21,

It sounds like you might be overtraining; thats why your legs continue to burn despite taking "time off" - apparently, you are not taking as much time off that you need for your muscles to fully recover. Or, perhaps you are not eating enough to meet the caloric deficit.

No supplement has been scientifically proven to "help muscles recover faster". As long as you meet your full caloric needs (roughly 55% carbohydrate and 30% protein) for your daily activity, that should be all that you need to facilitate muscle regeneration before the next exercise bout. Your body just needs time to recover - don't overdo it when you are experiencing clear signs of fatigue.

Good luck.