Question
Posted by: swimmer | 2004/01/15

swimming with flippers

I've started training in the pool at the gym to get fit and to tone up. Will using flippers be beneficial to my workout (help me tone up faster?)

Hi Swimmer

Training with flippers adds another dimension to the session, and so I would certainly recommend that at least part of your session is done with them on. What flippers do is to put more emphasis on the calf muscles, so you tend to really fatigue the calves faster - you may even feel like you are about to cramp, because the calves really work very hard. So, it is good for strength training - I would not do this all the time, as I said, but certainly for some of the session, it's not a bad idea at all