Question
Posted by: scuzzy | 2007/08/09

Swimming Programme

I'm gonna get started with the beginner swimming programme. I'm just looking through it and I have a question.

When it says kick 1x25m, does that mean I need to get a kick board?

Thanks for now.

Hi Scuzzy

That will obviously make life a lot easier, but it's not a necessity. You can, for example, do kicks by extending your arms out in front of you without the board and then really work hard at keeping your body perfectly horizontal in the water. The risk is you that slip down and your posture is compromised, but there's also a huge potential benefit if you get it right, because your form can improve. So if you can't get a kick board, it's not a disaster, but it will make it easier, especially in the beginning.

2
Posted by: Just me | 2007/08/14

I also decided at the age of 37 it was time for me to learn to swim. I found a swimschool near my home after weeks of searching. The gentleman training us is 80 and refuses to get in the water so he taught his housekeeper to be his assistant. He starts you out in the training pool (about half a metre deep) and teaches you to breathe correctly. The motions you go through in the training pool is exactly the same as when you swim in deep water. I only used a small board (about the size of an A4 page) for half of my 3rd lesson (1st one in the big pool) and that was it. Thus far I have had 8 lessons of 1 hour each and I can almost swim the lenght of the pool without any aids or assistance. He does not follow the same procedures as other swim schools as he beleives that you need to build your confidence as your abilities improve. We do not dive into the pool untill we are ready, we use the slide which gives you the same action as diving would but without the "fear". when you are ready you will dive although he does not allow you to be "fearfull" for to long.

Reply to Just me
Posted by: scuzzy | 2007/08/09

Thanks for that. Altough I do understand what you mean, I think it will be better to get a kick board for now, otherwise thay might have to send someone to save me from drowning. Maybe I'll start with the kickboard and try that in the 3rd week or so.

Thanks for the quick reply. So from Monday it will be me and the pool.

Reply to scuzzy