Question
Posted by: de | 2006/11/10

Swimming and fertility?

I'm a swimming teacher and am in the pool for about 20 hours a week. Although i have no fertility problems that i know of, I'm just wandering if being in the water for such long periods can affect my chances of falling pregnant?

Dear De

It is very unlikely that the swimming even in warm temperatures would alter the fertility prognosis in your case. However, in the case of a male instructor in warm temperatures there might be a progressive reduction in sperm production over time and therefore a negative impact on fertility potential.