Posted by: Lilly | 2008/08/29

Hi Diet Doc

I need to lose about 20 kilos. I am 24 year old female, and wanting to know if swimming is a good exercised for cardio. However I am fearful that swimming will make my shoulders and back muscular or broad. I have seen that on some girl swimmers and wouldn' t like to develop the same physique. Is there a risk of that happening from swimming about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week.

Hi Lilly

Sure, it's a good start. Any exercise is of course better than nothing, so swimming, whcih is a cardio form, is a good way to get going. Perhaps the biggest plus is the low impact, which means less risk of injury. I don't think you need to worry about developing broad shoulders and back, because that happens with many, many hours of swimming training, the kind that elite swimmers do, and you won't be doing that much.

once you develop a certain level of fitness, then I'd also advise that you consider other forms of training - just for variety, more than anything, I think it would help you to consider things like rowing, running, walking, or cycling. That becomes crucial later on, though you can cross that bridge when you get there. For now, enjoy the swimming and make the most of the time you have availab.e