Question
Posted by: HOW | 2004/01/19

SWIMMING

hi

im interested in doin swimming as a sport,howeva i read the zone it on,,and it says thats its one of the sports that could make you loose ur teeth,,,how is this possible......i can understand cricket and so forth,,but swimming is such a mellow kinda sport

Hi THere

I'm not sure - I have never heard this myself. I tried to find the article that you read, but I could not find it - perhaps you can just let me know how you find this article, and then I will check it out, and get back to you.

2
Posted by: The Fitness Doc | 2004/01/21

I did some more searching after you mentioned this to me - thanks for the prompt reply. The study that the site mentions from New Zealand is not available on any other websites for scientific journals, so I cannot unfortunately read the full article to get to the bottom of this directly, but I did manage to find a similar site from Brazil, and their main finding is that the biggest risk for dental injury is a sudden fall (24% of all injuries, far greater than ball sport injury). So, it would seem that swimming is so high risk because the risk of falling/slipping would be quite high, and so rather than the actual act of swimming, it's around the pool where the risk is. The study on the Health24 site was a little ambiguous about exactly what they meant by swimming. This is about the only explanation I can think of for this finding - amazing!

Reply to The Fitness Doc
Posted by: HOW | 2004/01/20

you click on fitness,thentheres a block belowthat says injuries....then dental....it sais that its the number 1 sport to cause dental injuries.

Reply to HOW