Question
Posted by: Angel | 2007/07/28

Swelling on left wrist

I am a female of 51yrs old. I have two lumps /swelling on my left wrist. One is hard and painful and the while the other is soft and not painful. My GP says therer's nothing to worry. Please help.

Dear Angel

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like you have ganglion cysts. It occurs in a variety of locations, mostly the wrists. Usually the flexor tendon sheath is involved. This is the most common soft tissue tumor of the hand and is most common in women between the ages of 20 to 50.

There is nothing to be concerned about, as this is not cancer growths. Treatment usually involves aspiration of the mass or surgical excisision (recommended).

You can use anti-inflammatory tablets, i.e. Voltaren, for the pain.

Kind regards