Posted by: Sumaya | 2009/08/26

Swelling of the right eye

Swelling of the right eye only occurs every 4-6 weeks. Swelling begins in the corner &  spreads to the rest of the eye. I' ve been for allergy tests, ENT, eye specialist and no one can point out what is the cause. Please assist

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sumaya
Orbital swelling (the eyeball and it's content ) should be differentiated from pre-septal swelling (swelling of the eye-lid). From an ENT point of view, the most common contributing factors would be sinus related, and should be dealt with if this is indeed the case. Your ENT will be able to assist. A CT scan could be helpful in diagnosing this. The Opthalmologist will check for primary causes in the eye/orbit, and it would be helpful if they could see you when the actual swelling occurs. If nothing is found, it could be possible that this is occuring on a vascular basis, ie the bloodvessels in the facial area, or on a neurological basis. Hormonal changes may also contribute to the problem. These possibilities should be examined, and I suggest you ask your ENT if the opinion of a Maxillo-facial surgeon could be helpful.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.