Question
Posted by: BW | 2003/03/14

Swelling of calf muscles

I used to push heavy weights especially with my legs but have not done gym for some years now.
I have this problem that when I try and run or walk quickly my calves swell a lot. This causes a loss of feeling and strength in my lower legs which prevents me from getting very far.
Can you advise what this condition is and what I can do to resolve it

Hi BW

You will need to have this investigated by a sports physician. You can make an appointment at the Sports Science Institute on 021 659 5644. It could be something like compartment syndrome, when the increased blood flow to the calf muscles, increases their size, makiing them too "tight" in the muscle sheath. However, this is only a possibility and you really need to visit a sports doctor to have it checked out.