Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/08

swelling has spread

Hi shrink

I know you told me to go to the doctor, but im scred too. what if he also tells me its all in my head? the swelling in my feets has gone but it spread to my knees and my hips and now its started in my left hand. I couldnt handle someone else saying it was all in my head, they make me feel crazy or like im attention seeking so im wearing bulky clothes so noone notices, my hubby doesnt want to hear about it becasue he wanted to take me to the doctor the other night and i said no so he wont listen until i go but i dont want too!!

the swelling is a weird feeling, sort of burning.. but tingly like pins and needles and strange but i cant descirbe it but im NOT in pain. maybe thats another reason im reluctant to go see a doctor.

can it be all in my head? can a person make themselves swell up just like that?? maybe i am going crazy

Buffs, dear, if your doctor tells you that a swelling in your legs is all in your head, it's him who would need to see a shrink, and not you. There are , as I said before, various possible causes for such swellings and discomfort in your limbs, especially in sombody with kidney problems, and it is essential to see a doctor and have it checked out properly. If you have discovered some magical way in which to be in perfect physical health and to make yoyurself swell up, they I'm sure you can be on the front page of the medical Journal next week. No, of course I don't think you can make yourself do this, and of course it's not all in your head.
But people with various kinds of kidney problems, including nephritis, can start to get kidney failure, which causes, among other things, keeping too much fluid in the body, and swelling of the feet and legs. And that's a serous and urgent sign that they need proper medical treatment for it.
GO and see a good doctor ; maybe go to the casualty dept of a good major hospital, and get all this properly checked out. Listen to the doctors, and take their advice. You are valuable, and should let yourself get more ill or neglect yourself.
GO! and tell us, when it's over, what the doctors said. And get that biopsy. How could a urologist say ther's nothing wrong-- but you need a biopsy ?

7
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/08

If you are swelling - there IS something wrong.
When I was 18 I was told there was nothing wrong with me either. I had constant pain. It was eventually diagnosed after getting a second opinion, and I was able to get the proper treatment.
You seem to be finding reasons not to go for treatment. Maybe you need to find the reasons why you are REALLY doing this.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/08

Hey Buffs,

Don't be sorry, we are glad to have been able to help. I know I am.
You take care. Just know that if it is enough to get you so concerned, then it is enough to force yourself to go to the doc.
We are not professionals so we don't really know, they deal with these things so they'd tell you better. & If you not happy with the treatment or diagnosis you have all the right to go for as many opinions as you need coz it is after all your body.

Have a great day further Buffs, hang in there,
Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/08

sorry everyone i just re read my most and realised how pathetic i sound.

Shrink please dont waste your time replying to my post on medical questions as i know that not what your here for.

i must just accept the fact that there really isnt anything wrong with me. the urologist must be right after all he is a specialist.

Sorry to have bothered you all and thanks for all the advice.

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/08

hi shaun

i also thought it might just be the heat, but almost 2 years ago i used to swell on a monthly basis, on day id just wake up swollen. I think i might be allergic to something but if i remember correctly they did an allergy test on me and it came back negative..but i swelled through winter and summer, i used to have to wear my fuzzy slippers to work cos i couldnt get my shoes on! very embarrasing

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/08

Hey Buffs,

Yes, there sometimes can be sickness that maybe all in the head, but I find it hard to believe about swelling.
Not that it might be your case, but just another scenario I know of. My gf sometimes has the swelling problem, but she kinda has it worked out as to when it happens & stuff. When it's hot she really swells, sometimes it's actually visible, especially in th feet area. & Yes, she also complains that her feet feel like they on fire when this happens so there's nothing she can do except wear bigger shoes or no shoes. It's a problem sometimes coz we're never sure what size shoes to get her. The same with her body as well. One day she feels odd & she swells so that her clothes feel tight on her. But the thing is, she understands that at that moment, it's got to do with her body & the way it works. It's nothing abnormal. She may even put a ring on now & 2 hours later she cries coz she can't get it off. There is nothing wrong with her physically, it's just how her body is. I've seen her swollen & not I know.
Like yesterday it was so hot & she was bare footed & when I saw her feet I felt sorry for her.
The best she does in those cases is do something to cool off. Like maybe a cold shower, or dip her feet in cold water. You'd be amazed how your whole body cools down just by cooling your feet. She may not be relieved that quickly, but it does help to relieve the burning, & yes she often does feel it like pins & needles too.
Oh, & please don't be afraid to go to the doctor, coz then you just worry yourself about assuming something might be wrong instead of knowing. At the moment you don't know so it's really worrying you...

As I said, this may not be the case with you, it's just something I thought I needed to share with you that you might relate to.

Have a great day Buffs,
Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/08

Chelle is right , the human mind can make the body sick with all the symptoms, but knowing what you know about your kidneys you really should go to the doctor. You can die from renal failure please please please stick your fear where it belongs and GO TODAY!!!

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/08

Buffs, whether it is in your head or not, you need to get outside help. I doubt that you have caused the swelling through the power of your mind. You need to go get that biopsy you mentioned the other day, done quickly.

Your husband must be besides himself seeing you this way, yet refusing help. If you can't do this for yourself, then do it for him! I personally think he has taken the right stance. You can't keep accepting something like this, and not do something to get better.

I hope the swelling improves, but I hope even more, that you go and get the help you need!

Reply to Chelle