Question
Posted by: Walker | 2007/06/25

Swelling hands

I am a regular walker and often walk longer distances (20km +). Over the longer distances I find that my hands and especially my fingers swell up almost excessively (they sometimes look and feel like little stuffed sausages!) What causes this and how do I prevent it?

HI Walker

It's a common problem, actually and it's caused by circulatory changes during exercise - the blood is obviously being pumped a lot more than at rest, but it gets pumped to areas where it is specifically needed. And what can happen is that at the periphery, you then get accumulation or pooling of blood, and the hands can swell up. It's nothing to be concerned about at all, unless it becomes painful. With time, as your cardiovascular system adjusts, it will also become less severe and hopefully disappear altogether.