Question
Posted by: Mava | 2007/02/27

Swelling during pregnancy

Dear Doc My wife is 23 weeks pregnant, since week 10 she has been having swelling feet tell me what is the remedy to this because she cries every night that is very painful, we tried hot water ice water, heat rub, nothing helps. Please help us, what can we apply to help reduce/stop the swelling, because is now moving to the fingers as well.

Expert ImageArchive

The most common reason for swellinf of feet during pregnancy is water retention, and certain types of massage can be benificial BUT you must speak to the Gynae as if done incorectly it can overload the heart and cause problems. You should also check her blood pressure as the swellig can be a result of high blood pressure which can be a problem in pregnancy

1
Posted by: lulu - a mommy too | 2007/02/28

Swelling of feet is common during pregnancy. Its called odema - but if the odema is painful and spreads to other parts of the body such as hands I would advise you seek medical help in case there is another underlying cause that could affect the pregnancy.

Reply to lulu - a mommy too