Posted by: Lisle | 2011/11/24

Swelling and painful knee


I have spider veins and hereditary varicose veins. I had an ultrasound with a vascular specialist about 3 weeks ago and was told that the discomfort I am experiencing is not related to this.

He suggested I see an orthopaedic specialist. I experience sharp pains in my upper outer thigh and my knee swells and pains on certain days especially when driving in peak traffic. I have been taking anti-inflammatory tablets - (panamor for 2 days) to bring down the swelling in the knee, but the sharp pains in the thigh persist.

What would you suggest?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

I agree with the vascular specialist - it seems that you do have a problem with your knee and that could be either arthritis or a meniscal problem in the knee. Yes you should see a knee specialist (orthopedic surgeon) and let him make the decision

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.