Question
Posted by: Sue | 2007/03/07

Swelling and discomfort swallowing

For the last day or so I have had a sence of discomfort under my jaw, when I woke up this morning, there is some swelling there (which looks like I have a double chin) - it is causing discomfort with swallowing and even talking. My mouth is not painful inside (under the tobgue area), so it appears the swelling is more on the outside. It is close to the glands, but extends totally underneath my chin. What can this be?

Hi Sue
this sounds like an infection/inflammation of the salivary gland under your chin. It could also be due to blockage of the salivary tube with a small stone - maybe your GP should have a look for you?